How you retire is the one irrevocable decision in your life. You can change jobs. You can change houses. But if you get retirement wrong, you can’t go back and change it. It’s too late.
It doesn’t matter what career you are in; it is stressful to retire.
I saw the stress first-hand when my father retired twenty-odd years ago. That might have been the first time I’d ever seen him visibly worried.
The issues you face in the months and even years leading up to retirement are enough to keep you up at night.
- Should I downsize my house?
- When do I take my Social Security?
- Am I taking too much risk with my money?
- What will my income taxes look like in retirement?
- What happens if I get sick?
And possibly most importantly:
- Where is the money going to come from to live on each and every month?
That was my dad’s biggest fear - how was he going to get the money to live on each month. That alone can drive you to your knees.
Your Roadmap Will Remove the Stress
If my dad had only had a roadmap to his successful retirement.
It doesn't matter if you are five years or five minutes from retirement, a plan that is tailored just for your needs and resources will take the stress away.
- You want a forecast that accounts for all of the variables and gives you all systems go.
- You want the confidence of knowing you made all the right choices.
- You want to know you’ve planned for the contingencies.
- You want to know you’ve maximized your retirement.
This is a tall order, isn’t it? You’re going to be fine. I’m here to help.
I’m Dennis J. O’Keefe, CFP, owner of Successful Money Strategies.
Your retirement is supposed to be your golden years – your time to relax and enjoy life. Just as reduced the retirement stress for my mom and dad, it would mean a lot to me to do the same for you.